Friday, January 20, 2023

Jolly Green Giants

I had a big chuckle when I landed on this page and read my last post...from 5 years ago! 

Have you ever noticed how time seems to fly by the older we get? Think of how many conversations start with, "Can you believe it's already insertamonthorholiday? Seems like it was just insertanothermonthorholiday!" 

So here I am - 5 years later - saying, "Can you believe it's already 2023? Seems like it was just 2018! I've had multiple addresses, jobs, and cars in the past half-decade, yet it seems like just yesterday and a million years ago all at once. 

The biggest news is that I've relocated to Florida. Because I'm old now and, duh, where do old people congregate? "I'll take God's Waiting Room for $200, Alex." I just need to be with my target demographic. Plus, if I actually start writing again, the material here basically writes itself. Speaking of which, here's an FFF (Fun Florida Fact) for you...it's one of my favorites.

We all know that Florida's thing is alligators, right? (By the way, the locals say, "If you don't bother them, they won't bother you," which could not be further from the truth.) But did you know that Florida also has these guys? No, those aren't baby alligators - they are Jolly Green Giant Iguanas! They just kinda roam willy nilly on sidewalks, lawns, parking lots, etc., like they own it.


Allegedly, they aren't dangerous or aggressive to humans. Allegedly. However, they tear up the landscaping and they carry Salmonella cooties! Um, ewww. And guess what their major predators are...Snakes! (You've heard of the giant pythons in the Everglades, right? That's another story for another time. Basically, it's a zoo down here!)

Now, in case you're thinking no biggie, I'll just avoid them, let me drop (see what I did there? you will in a minute) this little tidbit on you. When it gets below 40 degrees, the iguanas freeze and fall out of the trees! Yes, you could actually be walking along minding your own business, racking up your 10,000 steps/day, blasting RHCP in your earbuds, and get bonked on the head by a Jolly Green Giant.


I'm telling you, the stories write themselves!

No comments: