Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Words on Wednesday

Lesson 2 TEST - I keep telling you there are tests! Here goes... Based on the underlined word(s), choose the correct sentence/phrase:
#1A. Some people might think I'm a looser for stalking Colin Farrell the way I do.
B. And that I'm also a loser for stalking Jake Gyllenhaal the way I do.
#2A. I'm afraid if I stop stalking Jake, I'll lose him to Reese.
B. I'm also afraid I might loose Colin to any bimbo in Hollywood.
#3A. Colin's idea of commitment is kinda loose, rumor has it.
B. Of course in Hollywood, everyone's idea of commitment is kinda lose.

If you chose B for #1, A for #2, and A for #3, congratulations! If you did not select the correct answers, click here to review.

Week 3, Lesson 3, makes reference to some of my favorite teaching moments. At the end of the year I would always get these cards that said, "Your a great teacher." Apparently not. Because if I was, then they would know that the sentiment should read, "You're a great teacher." I guess it's the thought that counts.

So here's the lesson:

  • Your is possessive. It means you own something. For example, your diamond rings, your mansion in Malibu, or your Rolls Royce.
  • You're is a contraction of you and are. For example, "You're (you are) living in a dream world."
  • ur is obnoxious textspeak for your, you're, or you are and it drives me crazy when used anywhere other than text messages (actually it drives me crazy there, too). Stop already with the ruination of the written English language!

Easy, right? Now you're never going to make this mistake again, right? Until next week.....Love, The Grammar Police

No comments: