- Finance in a general session first thing Saturday morning. Yaaawwwwwn.
- Brain disease research, with pictures, right before lunch. BLE: "Here's our brain stem friend." Yummy, now what's for lunch?
- Reading PPT slides. Uber-pet peeve of mine.
- Sitting (and getting a picture) with Wade Hanson from Season 10 of The Apprentice. Okay, I know I'm stretching the definition, but I think we all know by now that I'll take a celebrity sighting in any way, shape, or form. I am not proud of this.
- Lunch with a real live brain surgeon (Dr. Victoria Arango). I'm pretty sure I'm smarter by osmosis now.
- Watching the super-awesome peeps from AFSP-Indiana win all kinds of awards.
- "Carnival of Ideas" open house, with wine and cheese. And not only do all the different chapters share their ideas, but they encourage you to steal them. It's a win-win! As our big boss said, "I've never had an original idea in my life, but I'm a good thief." He even stole those words right out of my mouth.
- Trees and shoes. Not only do I love this as a memorial, but it's all kinds of crafty goodness.
- Quilts, quilts, and more quilts. My favorite is the one that's made in individual squares that can be unbuttoned and rearranged.
Blunder of the day:
As I tripped over my bag/purse/books underneath my chair for the 15th time, I blurted out, "Jees, I'm gonna kill myself tripping over this stuff" except that's not how it came out. I inadvertently inserted a pause after "myself" as I was in mid-trip. Cue gasp.
PSA - The More You Know:
- Depression is a disease of the brain just like asthma is a disease of the lungs. The brain is an organ just like the lungs, heart, liver, etc.
- Suicide is the result of a diseased brain. Bullying, stress, etc., are triggers, not causes.
- The correct word for a death by hanging is hanged, not hung. "He hanged himself" not "he hung himself".
- The phrase “committed suicide” is NOT accurate...you should say “died of suicide” instead. (Would you say "he committed cancer"? No, of course not.) People commit crimes. Suicide is not a crime. Period.
- If you're interested in reading the latest articles about suicide prevention and mental illness, check out Normal Is a Setting on a Washing Machine.